Friday, February 21, 2014

melbourne sketchbook.......











'What strange phenomena we find in a great city, 
all we need do is stroll about with our eyes open. 
Life swarms with innocent monsters.'
Charles Baudelaire

I found this old book in a market one random Sunday, titled Melbourne Sketchbook it features twenty-nine gorgeous sketches by Unk White of well known Melbourne landmarks and equally gorgeous commentary by W.H. Newnham. It caught my eye for two reasons; my love of old books and my love of Melbourne.

There is just something about Melbourne. Every time I visit her, and she is definitely a her, she pulls me in just a little closer. Like an old friend, she drapes her arm across my shoulders and gives me a lazy wink. Come one, she says, hang round for just a little longer - it'll be fun. Of course, it always is. 

And poring over these sketches and the accompanying words, with their little taste of a time long ago, makes me love her just a little more. 

kb xx