Wednesday, July 30, 2014

this week #2

I'll be honest, I was concerned this week's this week would not actually make it into the right week. And my concern has been realised, perhaps I should call it this fortnight? Full time study and nearly full time work do make a negligent blogger of me; but, there are some brilliant things I want to share with you this week.

The New Yorker has thrown open their archives for the next three months before a paywall goes up. Run, don't walk to your nearest wifi connection and start perusing. I'm already there, will report back. Feel free to leave links to your favourites in the comments.



Came across these illustration by Brazilian graphic design Carol Rossetti, and I've found myself back here a few times since. Something about the simplicity of the design, the diversity of the messages, the reality of the situations drawn. I mean, a women's freedom to be in control of her own body, behaviours and identity - isn't that what feminism is all about?

How much would it cost to buy everything in an issue of American Vogue? Just a tad under $350K according to American journalist, Noah Veltman. Veltman tallied up the cost of all the products featured in ten major American magazines and Vogue beat out its nearest rival by nearly two hundred thousand dollars. Talk about aspirational. I have to wonder at what point it gets ridiculous though?

Commencement speeches generally result in a plethora of blog posts, news articles, tweets and retweets, Facebook status' and a host of other information spreading, inspiration instigating rubbish, basically. But I quite liked this one by Neil Gaiman from 2012. Especially his points about the possibilities that are open when you don't know what's impossible, the way a creative life is like sending out messages in bottles and hoping for a response and that if you're making mistakes it means you're out there doing something - and that is a good thing. 



I'm a sucker for a bookstore (and a library too - basically anywhere with books) and this list from Buzzfeed featuring fourteen independent bookshops in London has me champing at the bit to get back to the English capital and explore.

kb xx